Palm Bay Bicycle and Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Auto accidents involving bicyclists and pedestrians usually are the result of the driver of a motor vehicle unable to avoid them. The reasons vary, and often it is not easy to determine who is at fault. It is critical to consult a Brevard County bicycle/pedestrian accident attorney after any such incident. Fatalities involving pedestrians and bicyclists comprise more than 20% of all traffic-related deaths. More sobering numbers follow.
Florida accident data
- There were 4,775 accidents involving bicycles.
- Of those, 118 bicyclists were killed and 4,380 were injured.
- Fewer than 6% of bicyclists were able to walk away from an interaction with a motor vehicle that year.
- 72% of the bicyclists killed in 2008 were not wearing a helmet.
Bicycling is a popular mode of transportation, especially near the beaches of Brevard County. Unfortunately, bicyclists must share the road with cars, which can result in accidents, per the above statistics.
Bicycle safety tips
- Wear a helmet – and wear it properly.
- Do not ride on the sidewalk. Statistically, more bicycle accidents occur when bicyclists ride on the sidewalk than on the road.
- Slow down at intersections and driveways.
- Do not use the left turn lane to turn left; always use crosswalks when possible.
- Obey all traffic signals.